Saturday, April 9, 2011

What's in a name?

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

So what's with the name of this blog? It sounds like Plato got trashed, forgot how to spell, and decided to announce said inebriated-entitling on the voice box of modern society - a blog.

Contrary to first appearances, this blog is not a compilation of drunken self-reflections by some dude named Drew. Truth be told, I came up with the blog and title almost two years ago on a spur of the moment, not too flattering "Why do other people get to have witty blogs with you-can-tell-I-have-a-college-degree titles?" impulse (that I often try to ignore) to have a means of sharing my thoughts because, of course, the world would be a better a place if everyone were told exactly what I think... right Hallie, keep telling yourself that.  In terms of the title...

* I've always jived with my middle name, Drew.
* Apparently I drooled an inordinate amount as a baby and thus acquired the extreme-confidence-building nickname "Drewly."
* Muse seemed like a good verb at the time...

In hindsight, however, I really think the title works for this endeavor...

* It reflects a whimsical-ness of childhood that I hope is never lost in my day-to-day, adult life (as semi-chronicled here).
* "Drooling" actually corresponds well with at least SOME of my expected topics of discussion... drooling over food, clothes, vacation spots, my impending garden or other generically good ideas... drooling because my now seven month old son is sanity trying/rabid-rage provoking... drooling out of utter relaxation and happiness (cat owners, unfortunately you know what I mean)...
* I've always loved the Muse-concept -
"to consciously put something inspiring in your life to prompt creativity and motivate artistic outlet"
I'm game.

And thus - "DREWLY MUSINGS"
For your viewing pleasure - enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment